The National Biodiversity Data Centre is a national organisation which collects and manages data on Ireland’s biodiversity in order to document our wildlife resource and to track how it is changing over time.
The Burren Community Charter sets out a vision for the Burren Where a high quality of life is enjoyed by all
The Burren Community Charter sets out a vision for the Burren where a high quality of life is enjoyed by all.
The Burren is a truly unique place - presenting unique challenges and opportunities. Arising from research and public consultation, The Burren Community Charter aims to allow the Burren community to shape its own future, deciding for itself how best to address these challenges and opportunities. The Burren Community Charter sets out a vision for the Burren where;
- the natural, built and cultural heritage is protected and improved
- respect for the environment and local economic development are compatible
- there are recreational opportunities for residents and visitors alike
- dynamic, engaged, sustainable local communities work together for shared benefits as they build a better future.
What work the Heritage Council is funding this year:
The Burren Community Charter is an evolving process – meeting needs on the ground as and when they occur. There is continual associated administration and community engagement. This includes the ongoing development by Burrenbeo Trust with support from the Burren Programme, the Burren Ecotourism Network and the Burren Food Trail - of the Burren Winterage Weekend (www.burrenwinterage.com) and maintenance of relevant websites, social media, media relations, newsletters and enquiries related to this. Burren Winterage Weekend is a community-led initiative that was borne out of the Burren Community Charter process.
Since its inception, the Burren Community Charter has achieved a great deal for the Burren. Through organisational cooperation and community engagement a number of recommendations arising from the Charter consultation process have been acted upon, including:
- the hugely successful Burren Winterage Weekend
- establishment of the ChangeX Burren social innovation programme
- facilitation of discussions on the Burren’s potential as a World Heritage Site
- piloting of Burren resource centres
- an audit of the existing heritage education courses available in the region
- a series of oral recordings on agricultural traditions in the Burren.