A list of resources we hope you find helpful when planning and developing your heritage project.
Heritage Resource Guide
The Heritage Resource Guide compiles a range of online heritage resources including archives, digital collections, data bases and inventories, GIs applications, video, mobile apps, most of which can be accessed freely on personal devices. It covers numerous subjects e.g. archaeology and history, architecture, coastal and marine, habitats and species, museums and collections.
GIS-based websites to discover the built, natural and intangible heritage of your area.
- Heritagemaps.ie provides information on built and natural heritage.
- The Historic Environment Viewer focuses on archaeological monuments and architectural heritage
- Biodiversity Maps is a national portal that compiles biodiversity data from multiple sources and makes it freely available on-line.
- Dúchas.ie is dedicated to local folklore.
- National Library of Ireland Catalogue explore thousands of digitised materials (maps, photos, letters, and other printed materials.
Access and inclusion Resources
Reflecting on inclusion
Building understanding around peoples’ different experiences and needs
Barriers, including language barriers, communication barriers, and barriers that might stop people from taking part.
Inclusive Activities & Events Toolkit- European Heritage Days
Tips and Case Studies for inclusive and accessible events and activities
National Disability Authority Website
"Building for Everyone: A Universal Design Approach" provides comprehensive best practice guidance on how to design, build and manage buildings and spaces so that they can be readily accessed and used by everyone, regardless of age, size ability or disability.
“Access: Improving the accessibility of historic buildings and places” was developed by the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht as part of their Advice Series of booklets. The booklets are designed to guide those responsible for historic buildings on how best to maintain, repair and adapt their properties.
Welcoming Disabled Audiences Toolkit by Thrive-NI
Working with monuments and buildings
- Guidance for the Care, Conservation and Recording of Historic Graveyard
- Adopt a monument: guidance for community archaeology projects (2017), The Heritage Council
- Adopt A Monument Research Toolkit- Tips and Resources on researching your local monuments
- Ruins: the conservation and repair of conservation ruins (2010), Department of Environment, Heritage and Local Government
- Rock Art- Prehistoric Rock Art in Ireland
- Ogham Stones in Ireland
- Heritage Council Resource page for Conservation and repair of historic buildings (i.e. constructed before World War 2)
- Buildings of Ireland resource page which contains Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage publications and statutory guidance, relevant legislation, local contacts, advice series and reports which may be of assistance to you as an owner or as an agent working on a protected or any historic structure.
- Heritage Council & SPAB Ireland Maintenance Advice Series- Wood and ironwork, render and mortar, roofs, rainwater goods, vegetation.
- Wildlife in Buildings- Linking our built and natural heritage
- The Conservation of Places of Worship
- Paving- The Conservation of historic ground surfaces
- Architectural Conservation Officers in Local Authorities Nationwide (May 2022)
- Sourcing a Conservation Consultant for your built heritage project
- Conservation building contractors- Irish Georgian Society Traditional Building Skills Register and Register of Heritage Contractors
Climate change & energy efficiency
- Heritage Council Resource page for Conservation and repair of historic buildings (i.e. constructed before World War 2) includes a section on Adapting to climate change with leaflets on insulation, heat pumps, and draught proofing.
- Climate Change and Historic Towns- Adapting to Change
- Cities 100: 100 solutions for climate change in cities (2016), Sustainia, C40 Cities & Realdania
- Energy efficiency in traditional buildings (2010), Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht
- Event manager's resource pack: 4 steps for a cleaner, greener event (2012), LAPN Network
- How communities are working together to save energy (2018), Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland
sparkchange.ie, provides resources on how you can make your community more sustainable. It also has a list of inspirational projects from across Ireland.
Towns and Villages
- Community-led village design statements in Ireland: toolkit (2012), The Heritage Council
- The Heritage Council's Collaborative Town Centre Health Check Programme
- Putting Town Centres First- Heritage Council Podcast
- Ballybrilliant: Heritage-led Regeneration in 5 Irish Towns
- Creating places for people: the RIAI town and village toolkit (2019), RIAI & Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht
- Design manual for urban roads and streets (2013), Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport and the Department of Environment, Community and Local Government
- HerO (heritage as opportunity) the road to success: integrated management of historic towns (2011), URBACT
- Streets for all: advice for highway and public realm works in historic places (2018), Historic England
- Tourism for Towns
An introduction to developing a sustainable tourism sector in your town
Wildlife, biodiversity & water heritage
Heritage Council Publications & Links:
- A Guide to Habitats
- Bats, birds, buildings and you!
- Conserving Hedgerows
- Homeowner maintenance series: vegetation, 2020, SPAB Ireland & The Heritage Council
- Conserving and enhancing wildlife in towns and villages: a guide for local community groups (2005), The Heritage Council:
- Biodiversity presentations on the Heritage Council's YouTube channel
National Biodiversity Data Centre Publications & Links:
- Biological / Habitat Surveying- Methodologies and Guidelines NBDC
- Bivalve shells identification
- Biodiversity Posters- NBDC
- Ireland's Citizen Science Portal- NBDC
All-Ireland Pollinator Plan Resources:
- Local communities: actions to help pollinators, National Biodiversity Data Centre
- See pollinators.ie for further resources on how to help pollinators
Local Authority Heritage Officer Network
- Wildlife in Buildings- Linking our built and natural heritage
- How to make nest boxes for garden birds, bats and barn owls.
Vincent Wildlife Trust:
- The Pine Martin in Ireland: a guide for householders, 2014,
- Constructing, erecting and monitoring Pine Marten Den Boxes
Care of Collections & heritage interpretation
- Caring for collections- The Heritage Council
- Museum Standards Programme for Ireland (MSPI)- Standards for long-term displays and temporary exhibitions
- Museum Standards Programme- Standards and Guidlines
- Institute of Conservator Restorers in Ireland - ICRI- Find A Conservator
- Irish Museums Association- Starting and running your museum
- Irish Museums Association Resources
- Writing Museum Labels- A ten point Guide, V&A Museum, London
- Museums Association Journals
- Northern Ireland Museums Council
- Inspiration- MSPI Video on Visitor Engagement & Exhibition
- Collections Trust (UK)
- SPECTRUM: Primary Procedures
- A sense of place: an interpretative planning handbook (2001), Scottish Interpretation Network
- A toolkit for storytelling interpretation: how to help visitors experience your story, Fáilte Ireland
- Bored of boards: ideas for interpreting heritage sites (2015), The Heritage Council
- Heritage festivals and events: marketing checklist (2018), The Heritage Council
- National Heritage Week: 100 event ideas (2018), The Heritage Council
- Museums Association (UK)
- Association of Independent Museums (AIM)
- American Alliance of Museums
- Aim Successful Visitor Experience 2017
- Beyond Storytelling Exhibitingthepast Obrien
- Henry Mc Ghie Museum Collections And Biodiversity Conservation 2019
- Henry Mc Ghie Museumsandthe Sustainable Development Goals2019
- Inception Development Operation Site Specific Museums 2018
- Social Sustainabilty Ki Book Ki Culture Jan2021
Development of digital Resources to promote your project & public engagement
Digital Trails Toolkit: Failte Ireland (2022)
This toolkit presents current national and international best practice in digital trail development.
How to make a podcast: Peter Baxter A tutorial for primary school children and adults on creating podcasts about their local heritage and using technology they have at home. Peter Baxter is a member of the Heritage in Schools Panel of Heritage Specialists.
Shooting a video on your smart phone A how-to guide for shooting videos on a smart phone from The Design and Crafts Council.
Editing video on a smartphone Part 1, Part 2
Now that you have recorded your video, use these guides from The Design and Crafts Council to assist you in editing your footage
How to create a public engagement programme during works to traditional buildings.
Top tips on events and activities to engage the public with your conservation project
Useful Contacts for sourcing expertise
Heritage Officers are employed by Local Authorities in partnership with the Heritage Council under our Heritage Officer Programme. Your local Heritage Officer will be happy to provide you with initial guidance on your project. They have a wealth of experience and can help you identify useful resources within your locality and country-wide.
Architectural Conservation Officers in Local Authorities
Compiled in February 2021- Contact details for Architectural Conservation Officers in Local Authorities. Note not all local authorities have an Architectural Conservation Officer employed.
Sourcing a Conservation Consultant for your built heritage project
Find a conservation consultant for your building/structures project
Conservation building contractors
Irish Georgian Society Traditional Building Skills Register
Register of Heritage Contractors
Institute of Archaeologists of Ireland
Find an archaeologist
Institute of Conservation and Restorers Ireland (ICRI)
Find a Conservator/Restorer
Heritage in Schools Panel of Heritage Specialists.
Chartered Institute of Environmental & Ecological Managers (CIEEM)
Find an Ecologist or environmental manager