An annual grants scheme for the conservation and repair of traditional farm buildings and related structures for farmers in the Green Low-Carbon Agri-Environment Scheme (GLAS)
This extensive bibliography is a valuable resource for any researcher or student of Ireland’s coastal and maritime culture and heritage. BiblioMara is equally valuable for local heritage projects in coastal areas.
BiblioMara is a comprehensive bibliography of cultural and maritime heritage studies of the Irish coastal zone.
Drawn predominantly from materials published since 1900, this annotated, indexed database is a valuable resource for any researcher, student or community group interested in finding out more about the coastal and maritime culture and heritage of their local area and the island as a whole.
Commissioned by the Heritage Council in 2002, the bibliography was compiled by the Coastal and Marine Resources Centre (CMRC) in Cork who worked with a multidisciplinary team from UCC’s Béaloideas and Archaeology Departments and Meitheal Mara.
BiblioMara features a wide and exceptional range of materials from academic and non-academic sources including local publications often disregarded by official databases. References and sources occur in both the English and Irish language.
BiblioMara covers a range of interdisciplinary themes and subject areas broadly outlined as follows:
- archaeological heritage;
- architectural and built heritage;
- the history of coastal settlements and their interaction with the physical and social environments;
- occupational folklore including traditional crafts, boat-building and usage, fishing, seaweed gathering and aquaculture;
- folklore and ethnology;
- historical and human geography including place-names, tourism, recreation and coastal zone management;
- industrial heritage;
- literary heritage;
- material culture;
- voyaging and navigation - including piracy, lighthouses, rescue services, shipping, maritime trade and military history.
Towards the end of August each year we celebrate Ireland’s natural, built and cultural heritage with an inspiring, informative and enjoyable programme of events.
Encourage greater awareness in your school of Ireland’s rich natural and cultural heritage with an engaging and stimulating visit from one of our Heritage in School experts.