The vitality, vibrancy and viability of town centres have wide ranging effects on overall socio-economic, environmental and cultural growth and development, and on quality of life for citizens and visitors alike.
BiblioMara is a comprehensive bibliography of cultural and maritime heritage studies of the Irish coastal zone.
Drawn predominantly from materials published since 1900, this annotated, indexed database is a valuable resource for any researcher, student or community group interested in finding out more about the coastal and maritime culture and heritage of their local area and the island as a whole.
Commissioned by the Heritage Council in 2002, the bibliography was compiled by the Coastal and Marine Resources Centre (CMRC) in Cork who worked with a multidisciplinary team from UCC’s Béaloideas and Archaeology Departments and Meitheal Mara.
BiblioMara features a wide and exceptional range of materials from academic and non-academic sources including local publications often disregarded by official databases. References and sources occur in both the English and Irish language.
BiblioMara covers a range of interdisciplinary themes and subject areas broadly outlined as follows:
- archaeological heritage;
- architectural and built heritage;
- the history of coastal settlements and their interaction with the physical and social environments;
- occupational folklore including traditional crafts, boat-building and usage, fishing, seaweed gathering and aquaculture;
- folklore and ethnology;
- historical and human geography including place-names, tourism, recreation and coastal zone management;
- industrial heritage;
- literary heritage;
- material culture;
- voyaging and navigation - including piracy, lighthouses, rescue services, shipping, maritime trade and military history.
Is acmhainn saor in aisce ar líne í an Tairseach Oidhreachta ina mbíonn nuacht a bhaineann le hoidhreacht, torthaí taighde, eolas faoi phoist atá ar fáil, litríocht theicniúil agus eolas faoi dheiseanna maoiniúcháin agus ócáidí ar fud na hEorpa.
Sonraí faoi imscrúduithe suntasacha seandálaíochta in Éirinn nach raibh faoi thrácht go forleathan i bhfoilseacháin chlóite faoi 2004.