Traditional ‘Hot Mixed’ Mortars – A Practical Hands-On Training Event
- Inish Pebble Company, Newtown, Kilmore Quay, Co. Wexford Y35XF58
This two-day workshop aims to provide specifiers, trades and craft workers an introductory to the basic Conservation Principle of ‘like for like’ materials with the preparation, and use of hot mixed lime mortars.
This two-day workshop aims to provide specifiers, trades and craft workers an introductory to the basic Conservation Principle of ‘like for like’ materials with the preparation, and use of hot mixed lime mortars. The Health and Safety of using and storing Quicklime will be highlighted. The role of sand aggregates, lime binders namely Quicklime and pozzolans will be discussed. The attendees will compare and experience freshly mixed bedding, pointing and plastering mortars. On completion the participants will be able to recognise traditionally made ‘hot mixed’ mortars in a traditionally built structure and will confidently generate and or specify a ‘hot mix’ of their own creation.
Who the course is for
- Building contractors: stonemasons, brick layers/masons, plasters, labourers, carpenter joiners.
- Specifiers / Professional: architects, engineers, surveyors, built heritage / conservation specialists / consultants / heritage specialists / conservation and or heritage officers
- Caroline Gethings – Anú Heritage Conservation Consultant
- Patrick Hickey – Historic Mortar Specialist / Traditional Stone Mason Patrick Hickey
- Billy Bates – Inish Pebble Director / Sand Specialist