Research Outreach and Education Officer
Carlow County Council are seeking a Research Outreach and Education Officer working under the supervision of the Museum Curator.
The Research Outreach Education Officer will work under the control and supervision of the Museum Curator. The focus will be on documenting, cataloguing, researching, maintaining an orderly system of collections management, displays and storage of the large museum collection. Working as part of a team in day-to-day operations of the Museum including assisting with the provision of guided tours, arranging outreach education programs and events and providing customer service to the Museum’s visitors. Promote the work of the Museum and an awareness of its services. Work to Carlow County Council, Carlow County Museum standards as well as those of the National Museum of Ireland Designation, and of the Heritage Council Museum Standards Programme for Ireland (MSPI)
The main duties associated with this post are outlined hereunder:
Care of Collections
• Ensure that all objects in the care of the Museum are stored and/or displayed to the required standards.
• Maintain accurate records of all conservation work that is carried out.
• Monitor and record environmental conditions within the museum’s main building and storage areas.
• Participate in the creation of permanent and temporary exhibitions and lead out their instillation in consultation with the Museum Curator. Documentation
• Create and maintain orderly systems for the management of the collection in keeping with standard museum practice, including a documentation system for acquisition, de-accession, loan, registration, location, exit.
• Supervise, number, catalogue, and store the Museum’s collection.
• Maintain and develop the Museum’s collection database. Other duties
• Assisting with day-to-day duties in the Museum.
• Organising outreach education programs and events.
• Invigilating in the Museums’ exhibition galleries.
• Meeting and greeting visitors to the museum.
• Leading and assisting with guided tours through the Museum.
• Assisting the Museum’s volunteers in undertaking their duties
Closing date is 12 noon on Friday 20th May