Shortlist of Conservators for 2009 Conservation Award
Following a meeting of its Selection Committee on 7th October the Heritage Council is very happy to announce that the following conservators have been short-listed (Phase 1) for the Conservation Award 2009. The award, in the form of a travel / study bursary (€3,000) intends to celebrate the skills set of individual conservators, skills which underpin the display and preservation of cultural artefacts in museums, galleries and private collections across Ireland. A fuller application is now anticipated by the end of October and further short-listing may take place to allow the external judges the opportunity to site visit a manageable number of projects.
It had been expected that there would be a greater number of applications – given the wide array of projects supported by the Heritage Council’s grants scheme. Nonetheless the Selection Committee was content with the quality of the submissions and especially the wide variety of applications.
The following have been short-listed:
- Cliodna Devitt : The Creation Cope (c.1450, Waterford Museum of Treasures
- John Gillis : Fadden More Psalter
- Damian Lizun : Glass Reverse Oil Painting ‘Charles Stewart Parnell’
- Sarah McCartan : Material from Mount Melleray Abbey
- Sarah Maisey : ‘La Dames Aux Perles’ by Sir John Lavery
- Nós Conservation Services : Pine Dresser With Flying Wheel Motif
- Benjamin Van de Wetering : Gort Poor Law Union Minute Book
- David Wilcoxson : Restoration of a Victorian Tiled Floor