Your Place or Mine - Conference on new initiatives engaging communities in interpreting & presenting heritage
Please note that this conference is now fully subscribed, we are no longer taking bookings, apologies for any inconvenience.
Date: Wednesday, 18th April 2012
Location: The Royal Irish Academy, Dawson Street, Dublin 2.
A joint Heritage Council / ICOMOS Ireland conference. This conference will stimulate discussion on public participation in heritage policy and presentation in Ireland, and in particular how to reconcile potentially conflicting tendencies in heritage interpretation. The conference celebrates International Day of Monuments and Sites 2012, the theme of which is ‘World Heritage and Sustainable Development: the Role of Local Communities’.
- Jimmy Deenihan, T.D., Minister for Arts, Heritage &
the Gaeltacht - Ministerial Welcome
- Gustavo Araoz, President of ICOMOS International
- Neil Silberman, President ISC on Interpretation & Presentation
- John H. Jameson, Vice President, ISC on Interpretation & Presentation
- Clare Tuffy, Bru na Boinne & Tomás Ó hOistín, Principal of Knockcommon National School
- Loreto Guinan, Heritage Officer, Meath County Council
- Ciaran Mackel, Ard Architect, Belfast, Director ‘+100’ - voluntary internship programme
- Alison Harvey, Planning Officer, The Heritage Council
- Colm Murray, Architecture Officer, The Heritage Council
ICOMOS adopted a charter in 2007 on Interpretation and Presentation of heritage sites setting out the ethical principles in presenting heritage sites to the public. The Charter sets out principles for stakeholder participation in devising the messages and modes of delivery of information for visitors to sites, a topic of considerable interest in Ireland.
This conference will support and showcase projects and initiatives in Ireland to a national and international audience. It will stimulate discussion on public participation in heritage policy and presentation in Ireland, and in particular how to reconcile potentially conflicting tendencies in heritage interpretation.
For more information on the conference content please contact Colm Murray at email@example.com / 056 777 0777. To book a place on the conference, please contact Geni Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org / 056 773 4568.