World Heritage Day 18th April 2012 - Get Involved!
This year’s theme has been chosen to mark the 40th anniversary of the UNESCO World Heritage Convention, which was adopted in 1972. The focus will be on “World Heritage and Sustainable Development: the Role of Local Communities”.
This special day offers an opportunity to celebrate local heritage all over the world! Why not get involved ... there's any number of things you could do to celebrate World Heritage Day 2012 ...
- Provide free admission to your heritage site
- Publicise your site in local newspapers or radio
- Hang World Heritage Day banners on your local sites
- Organise a public talk or lecture on your local heritage
- Put together an exhibition celebrating your local heritage
- Award a prize to soemone who has made an outstanding contribution to your local heritage
- Inaugurate a recently restored monument
- Get the kids involved with tours or treasure hunts
World Heritage Day (International Day for Monuments & Sites) was created in 1982 by ICOMOS (International Council on Monuments & Sites) and was later approved at the UNESCO General Conference in 1983.
The Heritage Council will celebrate the day by holding a conference examining the theme, World Heritage and Sustainable Development: the Role of Local Communities on the 18th April at The Royal Irish Academy, Dawson Street, Dublin 2. Click here for further information on the conference.
For more information on World Heritage Day 2012 visit: www.icomosireland.ie/activities/international-day-for-monuments-and-sites