Meet our board
Heritage Council board members are appointed by the Minister for Arts, Heritage, Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs. Coming from diverse backgrounds and with wide ranging skills, each member provides an invaluable conduit of ideas and energy, enabling the organisation to lead, respond and deliver effectively.
All expenses to board members are paid in accordance with the guidelines and rules set down by the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform. Details of expenses are published in our annual reports.
Awaiting Appointment (Chairperson)
The following members were appointed to the board in July 2016:
- Former Keeper/ Head of Education/ Member of the Management Team/ Secretary of the Board, National Gallery of Ireland (1998-2015)
- Chair (2006-09), Board Member (1999-2009), Irish Museums Association
- Chief Executive of the Houses of the Oireachtas Commission, Secretary General to the Oireachtas Service and Clerk of the Dáil (1990-2013)
- Appointed to Ethics in Public Office Commission 1995
- Trained as an architect and Urban Designer
- Lecturer in Architecture with specialty in Urban Design, University College Dublin & WIT
- Secretary to the Authority of the National Sports Campus Development Authority (NSCDA) and Company Secretary, NSCDA (Operations) Ltd. (April 2007 - October 2015)
- Head of Corporate Governance/mSecretary to the Board, Enterprise Ireland (1998-2007)
- Principal Curator, Manuscripts & Archives Research Library, Trinity College Library
- Governors and Guardians of Marsh’s Library (Provost’s proxy)
- Acting County Architect, Fingal County Council (2011 - date)
- Served as a member of the Heritage Council's Standing Committee on Architecture (2000-2010)
- Interim Director of Collections and Interpretation for National Museums Northern Ireland
- Curator of Prehistoric Archaeology at the Ulster Museum, Belfast (1990-2008)
- Founder of historic building and conservation consultancy practice in Wexford
- Former Director of Europe of the Industrial Development Authority (IDA).
- Previously Chairman of a large restituted estate in the Czech Republic and Advisor to the Czech Government.
- Chairperson Laois Heritage Society
- Member of the Heritage Council since January 2012
Muiris Ó Súilleabháin:
- Lecturer UCD School of Archaeology (1994 - date) Member, Scientific Committee, Carnac Alignment World Heritage Bid (2014 - date)
- Dean of Arts UCD (2014 -2015) Head of School of Archaeology UCD (2004 - 2008)
- Curator, County Museum, Dundalk (February 2005 - date)
- Member of review committee on the National Monuments Act (2009/2010)